Re: RES: Problem accessing samba shares via ssh in XP

On Nov 24 12:26, Danilo Turina wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Nov 24 10:00, Danilo Turina wrote:
> >
> >>The "problem" is that logging with ssh with your username you are not
> >>really logged as your user (that has the network drives mapped) but,
> >>instead, as SYSTEM (that has no network drive map (also because it is
> >>not a network user)).
> >>
> >>This also applies to telnet and to all the other mechanisms that,
> >>through Cygwin, allow you to log to your machine.
> >

> >No, telnet shouldn't be affected.  It all depends on using password
> >authentication or not.  See the FAQ
> >http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.shares
>
> I don't know if I correctly understand what you say, but if I telnet to
> my machine (either from the same machine or from another), I don't see
> any network share mapping that I see from Windows and I'm unable to
> create new ones by using "NET USE" if I do not provide my username and
> password.

Earlier versions of NT (4.0, W2K(?)) have kept the established connections
across logins.  At least since XP the connections are local to the logon
session.  This means, you don't have the shares available automatically,
but you can reestablish them in your new login session without having to
give your user name and password.  A simple

  $ net use X: \\\\server\\share

should suffice, and it does on my XP box.  If you can't do that, I'm
wondering if you're accidentally login to a local account on the box,
instead of to a domain account.  I can't tell, but there must be some
external reason for this behaviour.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.