Re: Norton Internet Security and Cygwin: What settings for NIS? *** SOLUTION *** ???

First of all, many thanks to all you who have pitched
in to help me out.

I followed Rene's advice and added 'hostname.exe' to
the NIS
'allowed' list. I found that things moved along, but
got
stuck at 'uname'(should have expected that to
happen!).
So I added 'uname.exe' to NIS's list. And, lo and
behold,
everything seemed right.

Then I tried 'vi' and it hung. By some stroke of luck
discovered that I had to logoff NIS. In my set up,
from
Dell, users are logged into NIS at Startup (do not
know
why). It is not just the firewall coming up, but the
user
is logged into the Norton account. If I just logoff
the
account and leave the firewall on, things seem to
work.

I will try some more things when I have time.

One last question (and we may change the thread). All
this
is because I want to use 'cdrecord' from Joerg
Schilling
on my PC. Is there a package available? I am brand new
to Cygwin and am not sure how one mine's the stuff --
apologise for these simplistic questions.

Thanks again to all of you.

sj