Re: SA_SIGINFO and signal info ?

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 06:20:22PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Thank you for the patch, but there are a couple of problems with it.
>>[snip]
>>- Changing SI_USER could have consequences for existing applications.
>>I'm willing to change SI_USER to zero and then add a workaround later
>>if anyone squawks (since this breaks backwards compatibility) but I'm
>>not willing to change the value of every value in that enum as your
>>change above does.
>
>Just a quick note: the SA_SIGINFO handling was only added in the
>snapshots, so backward compatibility shouldn't be that much of an
>issue.

The siginfo_t field has been in use within cygwin for almost two years.
sigwaitinfo uses it and it has been around since 2004-01-19.  That's why
most of the code for handling the siginfo_t structure was already in
cygwin when Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes added SA_SIGINFO capabilities.

I don't think this will impact many programs but the potential is still
there and I'll make the appropriate changes to cygwin if someone notices
a problem.

It's possible that the people who would notice this the most are Red Hat
cu$tomer$.

cgf