rysnc hangs when backing up multiple /cygdrive/* dirs

Hi,

I am not able to see what could be going wrong with my rsync method. I
am trying to back up a Windows XP box (running Cygwin and sshd and
rsyncd)  from my Debian Testing box. The following command hangs before
really transfering any files:

rsync -R --delete --delete-excluded --modify-window=1 --ignore-errors
-zauve ssh --exclude-from=rsync-excludes.txt
'ice:/cygdrive/c/Documents?and?Settings  /cygdrive/d/user1 /home   /etc'
/mnt/snapshot/ice/windows/daily.0

but the following command works:

rsync -R --delete --delete-excluded --modify-window=1 --ignore-errors
-zauve ssh --exclude-from=rsync-excludes.txt
'ice:/cygdrive/c/Documents?and?Settings /home   /etc'
/mnt/snapshot/ice/windows/daily.0

I notice that if I specify multiple source /cygdrive/* dirs to be backed
up, rsync hangs (first case above), otherwise it is happy (second case
above).

Can anybody see what could be the problem? Or, how do you backup
multiple dirs from a cygwin box?

->HS