Re: 1.5.18-1: issue with cygwin1.dll: "system shared memory version mismatch detected"

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, JeDi wrote:

> > It's irrelevent what the name of the .exe is.  As Igor already said,
> > even if a third party packages a cygwin1.dll that has simply been
> > renamed, it will still have the same shared memory name, so that if
> > the two DLLs are ever loaded at the same time they will clash.  This
> > is exactly what the error message you're getting indicates -- that you
> > have two incompatible Cygwin libraries on your system somewhere, even
> > if one of them has been renamed to something you don't recognise.
>
> Brian,
>
> I have uninstall OpenSSH and every software that was including
> cygwin1.dll (WinBoard, ...), and I obtain the same message when I try to
> launch cygwin. Pardon my insistance, I'm not familiar to the dll
> mechanism, and I understand that the name in the shared memory af a DLL
> instance does not correspond to the dll filename, but if I rename a .dll
> file, how can it be loaded again ?
> Furthermore, I have, right now, just one and only one cygwin1.dll, and
> it is the original one from the latest release. So maybe another program
> has loaded this dll from a totally different filename. Is there a way to
> know which dll is loaded in memory and which filename or program it is
> loaded from ?

Yes, you could try using ProcessExplorer or some other tools (e.g.,
"handle") from SysInternals.com (ProcessExplorer can give you a list of
all loaded DLLs, for example).  However, I don't think they will let you
search by the shared memory region name...

> I don't mean to bother, just trying to understand and fix the problem as
> cygwin is a great tool and would help me in what I'm doing.

Have you rebooted since you've uninstalled all of those programs?  A
program still running with the old DLL will cause your error message to be
produced, even if the uninstall succeeded.

> PS: attached my latest cygcheck output.

This looks suspicious:

> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options

(you seem to be missing all your mounts).  So does this:

> Cygwin Package Information
> No setup information found
> Use -h to see help about each section

Do you have the /etc/setup directory in your Cygwin installation?

I suggest you re-run Cygwin setup and reinstall all of your packages.  If
you haven't cleared the local package cache, you should even be able to do
this without any downloads.
HTH,
	Igor
--