Re: Listening sockets not always closing?

Craig Davison wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Chris Taylor wrote:

No offense, but doesn't this tell you what the solution is? Patch the
out-dated machines.
They're open to countless security flaws by now.
All 2k boxen should be running SP4 by now - it's only been out a couple
of years...

My cygwin application is a testing framework for a network security
application that must run on every service pack release of Windows 2000
and XP.

OK.

Beyond that, I can't say anything, but really, look into updating the
boxen to sp4.

From the cygwin web page:
"The Cygwin DLL works with all non-beta, non "release candidate", ix86 32
bit versions of Windows since Windows 95, with the exception of Windows
CE."

I don't read it the same way you do.  To me, that says that it will run on
the latest service pack level of 95, 98, Me, NT 3.51, NT 4, W2K, XP, and
W2K3.  Of course, I expect no one is especially averse to Cygwin working
well on any interim service pack either.  But considering that keeping and
testing against all these variations of platforms is a big task, I think
this could boil down to a PTC situation.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746