Re: SSH problem after upgrade

Ed, there was no need to Cc: me -- I read the list.  Please make sure your
mailer respects the Reply-To: header, which I set appropriately.

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Ed Brady wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > Does it help if you leave the files in /usr/bin, but explicitly
> > specify the path to the program (e.g., /home/Ed/telnet.exe)?
>
> Unfortunately, I have tried explicitly specifying the path
> (/usr/bin/ssh.exe, /usr/bin/telnet, etc)  with no luck.

That's not what I asked (though I can see how it can be misread).  Let me
try again: if you copy telnet.exe into your home directory, *leave*
/usr/bin/telnet.exe in place, and then invoke the telnet in your home
directory as /home/Ed/telnet.exe, does it still work for you?

> > > Some additional notes:
> > > #1 - Copying the program to a different name under the SAME directory
> > > (/usr/bin)  does not cause the problem to go away, creating symlinks
> > > does not help either.  This means the problem is somehow related to
> > > something specific to the attributes of /usr/bin itself.

Either the attributes, or the contents.

> > > #2 - Considering the three programs found (ssh, ftp, telnet), there is a
> > > high probability that the root cause is related to how the "socket" or
> > > related api cmds are being invoked or differences in how it is being
> > > called when the application resides in the home directory versusus
> > > /usr/bin.

IIRC, the Windows dynamic loader will first look for DLLs in the
application directory, and only then in the PATH.  Here's a WAG: do you
have a copy of winsock.dll or ws2_32.dll in /usr/bin?

> > > #3 - I have yet to find a complete list, but I am betting that this
> > > behavior will exist on all applications trying to open a priviledged
> > > port.
> >
> > Sounds like a permission issue.  What does "ls -ld /usr/bin" show?
> > This may be a red herring, but try the following command:
> >
> > chmod a+x / /bin /lib /usr /etc
>
> Interesting idea, I tried this, but no luck....
>
> > If this helps, your trouble may be with traverse checking...

Just to rule out traverse checking, could you try running
"CYGWIN=notraverse /usr/bin/telnet HOST"?

> > Also, can you post the permissions on the original files and the
> > copies in your home directory (both "ls -l" and "getfacl")?
>
> Here are the listings, starting with /usr/bin
>
> getfacl /usr/bin/ssh.exe
> # file: /usr/bin/ssh
> # owner: Ed
> # group: Users
> user::rwx
> group::r-x
> group:SYSTEM:rwx
> mask:rwx
> other:---
>
> getfacl  /home/Ed/ssh.exe
> # file: /home/Ed/ssh.exe
> # owner: Ed
> # group: None
> user::rwx
> group::r-x
> mask:rwx
> other:---
>
> I have also tried changing the group of /usr/bin/ssh.exe to None with no
> success

Doesn't look particularly significant...  Can you also post the output of
"getfacl / /bin /home/Ed"?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/