Re: base-files-mketc.sh hangs

Please make sure your mailer respects the Reply-To: header.  There was no
need to Cc: me -- I read the list.

Also, I've reordered the quoted text below for readability.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > > I tried to run /etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh in the shell and
> > > it ran ok. Any idea what went wrong?
> >
> > Not really -- there isn't enough information in your report.  Please
> > read and follow the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
> > <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, especially the part about attaching
> > (as an uncompressed text attachment) the output of "cygcheck -svr" on
> > your system.
>
> Attached is the file. The cygwin is provided by a product I'm using. I
> installed extra packages like gcc and upgraded the cygwin1.dll
> (otherwise the new installed gcc won't work)

First things first: this list does not support third party products
(<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP>) that integrate Cygwin in possibly
weird ways.  You should try asking *them* (Altera?) for support on your
problem (especially if you've paid for the product), unless you can also
reproduce it on a clean (official) Cygwin installation.

However, some pointers to help debug this are below.

> > > I got a problem after I reinstalled cygwin.
> > > /etc/postinstall/base-files-mketc.sh hangs there everytime I install
> > > packages.
> >
> > This is obviously not normal.  Do you press "Cancel" to interrupt it?
>
> Yes, I do.

What does setup.log.full show after you interrupt the install?

> > > And it will produce some log files like setup.log.postinstallXa00156
> > > under /var/log.
> >
> > This, however, is.  That's the mechanism setup uses to get the script
> > output into its log.
>
> Those setup.log.postinstall files are all 0 byte.

Most postinstall scripts don't output anything, so that's ok.

> But I do remember I saw one file with one sentence like child process
> died. I can't remember it exactly. Unfortunately I deleted it.

See if you can reproduce this message on some install.  If you can, it
would be interesting to see where it came from.  The content of the
setup.log.postinstallXXXXX files is copied verbatim into setup.log.full,
so it should have shown up for that installation (even if it was cancelled
later).

As I said above, it would be especially interesting if you can reproduce
this problem on a clean Cygwin install on the same machine (you can
temporarily rename the Altera Cygwin root folder, as well as the
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions" registry key, do the clean
install, and then remove the resulting folder and the registry key and
rename the original back).
HTH,
	Igor
--