RE: gcc crash (memory?)

Hi,

It turns out (a part of) the problem was that malloc and new allocate twice
the amount of memory requested (see the thread "malloc/new allocate twice as
much?"). Installing the latest snapshot solves this problem, and I am now
able to compile polymake with g++ taking at most ~600MB. (It took 1.5GB on
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, but I guess that's because that machine is
64-bit.)

By the way, g++, as well as a program I wrote and compiled with g++, are
able to allocate 1GB, so I don't think the memory limitation / registry
switch issue exists in the latest snapshot.

Dan