Call for testing Cygwin snapshot (problem with inode numbers)

Peter Rehley peter@rehley.net
Thu Dec 1 23:38:00 GMT 2005

On Dec 1, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Dec  1 13:01, Peter Rehley wrote:
>>   It only appears to be a problem
>> when I have a mac os x share mounted to a drive on windows.    When I
>> try with a windows share or a linux share I don't seem to have the
>> problem.
>>
>> The problem that I'm seeing is that the inode value isn't unique when
>> listing a directory (or using any program that uses the inode value).
>
> Do I understand you right that this only happens for directories?  The
> normal file inodes are looking ok?
No, it also happens for files too.

>> The inode that comes back from doing a ls -li is first much shorter
>> that a normal inode.  I've included lists from my share when using
>> the 20051123 snapshot and then they 20051128 snapshot.  The only
>> change that I've done between the two is update cygwin using the
>> cygwin-inst snapshot file.
>
> Yes, I have no Mac OS X handy.  I have attached two hacked test
> applications, which you can simply build with `gcc -o foo foo.c'.
>
> The first one, GetVolInfo, should get a Cygwin path to any file on the
> Mac OS X share.  It prints the volume information returned from the
> share.
>
> The second one, GetFileInfo, should be called on a few directories
> and a
> couple of files on the share.
>
> The output of both tests might be helpful.
Output is attached.

> And another thing to try.  Could you please check (only with the
> latest
> snapshot) if the resulting inode numbers are the same when running
>
>  $ cd /local/cygwin/dir && ls -i //MacOSX/share/dir
>
> and
>
>  $ cd //MacOSX/share && ls -i dir
>
> ?

cd /tmp && ls -i //10.0.10.42/prehley/tmp
it returned
3776088840 GetFileInfo.c  3776088840 GetVolInfo.c  3776088848 inode_test

cd //10.0.10.42/prehley && ls -i tmp