Re: Errors compiling cdrtools under cygwin 1.5.19

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 06:25:13PM +0000, Eric Blake wrote:
>somebody wrote:
>>I don't know if cygwin's interface can easily be changed, but
>>considering that Jörg doesn't seem to be willing to modify his code,
>>what do you think that could be done to solve this problem?  I hope
>>that a solution can be found, because cdrdao and cdrtools are really
>>great software...
>
>The only thing cygwin could do here is to make sure that the definition
>of getline is not visible if _POSIX_SOURCE is defined, since it is an
>extension to POSIX.  From what I know about Joerg, he is pretty
>insistent that his programs stick to standards, so if he uses
>_POSIX_SOURCE to protect himself from inheriting getline from system
>headers, then it is cygwin's fault that we do not yet isolate
>non-standard interfaces properly.

Linux seems to protect the getline and getdelim declarations with
__USE_GNU which is turned on if _GNU_SOURCE is defined.

This falls into the same category as my previous discussion about
_POSIX_SOURCE.  If a program builds without problem on linux, the goal
is for it to build without problem on cygwin.  It seems like the
unconditional addition of getline to the headers moves us a step back
from that goal.

cgf