Re: Problems with cygwin cvs over ssh.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > Hi
> >
> > >On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> >
> > > CVS_RSH=/bin/ssh
> > > CVS -d fred@x.x.x.x:/test-repository co test1
> > > ...password....
> > > cannot mkdir /tmp/cvs-server1396/.
> > > No such file or directory.
> >
> > I am having the same problem now, after upgrading
> > to cygwin 1.5.19-4 from 1.5.18-1.
> >
> > I am working with the Eclipse IDE on Windows which uses cygwins cvs
> > and ssh in the background
> >
> > > So, the problem is the ssh and cvs combined.
> > > If I ssh, then run cvs it checks out fine. The problem is getting
> > > the information back through the ssh pipe.

The problem is with "cvs server".  I was able to reproduce this without
ssh at all by using the following as input to "cvs server":

Root /var/cvs/BLAH
Valid-responses ok error Valid-requests Checked-in New-entry Checksum Copy-file Updated Created Update-existing Merged Patched Rcs-diff Mode Mod-time Removed Remove-entry Set-static-directory Clear-static-directory Set-sticky Clear-sticky Template Notified Module-expansion Wrapper-rcsOption M Mbinary E F MT
valid-requests
UseUnchanged
Global_option -q
Global_option -r
Argument .
Directory .
/var/cvs/BLAH
expand-modules
Argument -N
Argument -P
Argument --
Argument .
Directory .
/var/cvs/BLAH
co

(this was captured from a "cvs co" over ssh).  The funny thing is that the
directory in the message *is* created before the commands are even read,
and yet cvs still complains that it can't create it because of ENOENT.
"cvs init" over ssh completed fine.  I will investigate further when I
have the time (though hopefully the above steps for reproducing this will
help someone else debug this).

> > cvs with ssh works fine in my installation, if i reinstall cygwin
> > 1.5.18-1.
> >
> > So, going back to cygwin 1.5.18-1 is my current workaround.
>
> For those that might be interested, my current work around is to
> uninstall cygwin cvs and use CVSNT instead on the server. So, it looks
> very much like a cygwin cvs problem at the moment. Although, on another
> project where we were using ssh to run scripts remotely and return the
> output, the script was running fine, but the output never reached back.
> This points me towards a problem with openssh on cygwin. It might be a
> problem with pipes under cygwin, as I assume it is the unix feature of
> pipes that redirects the output from commands back through the ssh
> session.
>
> E.g.
> This works:
> local $ ssh user@host
> host $ run-script    <- This displays output correctly on local.
> host $ exit
>
> This fails:
> local $ ssh user@host  'run-script'    <- No output displayed.
>
> To be more exact, we were nesting the ssh commands, i.e. run-script
> contained a "ssh user2@host2 'run-script2'  line.  It was the output
> from this nested ssh that failed to be returned.
>
> When I get a moment, I will try to post some example scripts to
> demonstrate the problem.

This looks unrelated.
	Igor
--