Re: Building Cygwin from CVS

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 09:52:34PM -0800, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
>On 1/26/06, Joshua Daniel Franklin  wrote:
>>OK, the full text of winsup/README is now:
>>
>>THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
>>WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
>>MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>>
>>Cygwin documentation is available on the net at http://cygwin.com You
>>might especially be interested in
>>
>>http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.programming.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin
>
>I forgot to mention, I also pointed the FAQ link in cvs.html directly
>there, and simplified the FAQ entry so it should be more
>straightforward for first-timers.  (For example, I got rid of the "how
>to use tar on a src tarball" since I doubt people who can't figure out
>tar should be building Cygwin.  Or at least they should be doing it
>from CVS!)

A minor nit: The text is wrong about needing cocom "if you want to run
tests".

cocom is used to regenerate devices.cc from devices.in so it should be
listed along with gcc, make, and perl.

I can only imagine the total brain meltdown of some hapless user who has
managed to check the sources out of CVS and figured out how to install
gcc, make, and perl only to be thwarted days/weeks/37-reinstalls later
by the unguessable obstacle of requiring cocom.

cgf