Re: Looks like some terminfo data is not correct

Alex Shturm wrote:

> If my TERM variable is set to either "cygwin" or "rxvt", after I exit
> from VI the contents of the window gets restored.
> If TERM is "xterm", it does not get restored.
> The same behavior is observed in both cmd-based window and in rxvt window.
>
> Looks like a bug in "terminfo" data for "xterm" terminal.
>
> Can anybody confirm this behavior?
> If this is a confirmed bug, is there a workaround?
> Will it be fixed in the future?

That's to be expected.  The setting of TERM has to match the type of terminal
that is in use.  A CMD.EXE window is not an xterm, which is why it has its own
terminfo entry called "cygwin".  The two have different characteristics.  If you
lie to the app and tell it that it's running in a certain type of terminal when
in reality it's not, then you get all kinds of strange things happening.  It
would only be a bug if when you were *using* xterm and had TERM=xterm and
noticed that the screen was not restored.

Brian