Re: experimental coreutils-5.94-4

On Feb 28 18:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > What happened to the simple, but *always* working idea to call getcwd in
> > > pwd to evaluate the current working directory?  The new implementation
> > > looks a bit maniac.
> >
> > Ergo, this is an *experimental* release!  I _purposefully_
> > crippled the working getcwd implementation to give the
> > readdir fallback code more exposure (and to root out
> > bugs in the coreutils fallback code).  When cygwin 1.5.20
> > comes out, I will remove the cripple, and /bin/pwd will
> > once again be a super-efficient call to getcwd.
>
> Uh, I see.  Thanks.

FYI, I've applied a patch today which has two purposes:

- For directories, which are used as mount points, the d_ino was the one
  returned by Windows for this very directory entry.  However, for mount
  points, the inode number which should be returned (and which *is*
  returned by stat) is the inode number of the target directory/ target
  drive, the mount point points to.  This is (hopefully correctly)
  accomplished by the patch.

- As a fallout of this patch, mount points are now *always* listed with
  readdir, even if they are dangling with no underlying file or
  directory of the same name.  For eveyone who didn't understand this
  sentence, consider the both default mount points in /usr:

    C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
    C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)

  Without my patch, an `ls' on /usr didn't return the directories bin
  and lib, except you created files or directories of this name in the
  C:\cygwin\usr directory.

  Now, with the patch, they are listed even though they don't exists in
  reality on the drive.  The additional advantage is that the shell's
  file completion now also works for these paths.

Please test the next snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ for
this functionality.

Thanks,
Corinna