Re: Problem with gawk-3.1.5-3

On Mar 13 17:30, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> I have a gawk script that I've been using unchanged for at least 9
> months that seems to have broken with the transition from gawk-3.1.5-2
> to gawk-3.1.5-3.
>
> Gawk seemed to hang, though it might be merely very slow.  I let it run
> for hours before killing it.  gawk-3.1.5-2 took 20-30 seconds to run.

Weird.  The difference between gawk-3.1.5-2 and gawk-3.1.5-3 is in
theory only the fact that -2 missed to make CRLF->LF conversion on stdin
while -3 does CRLF->LF conversion.

> This is the script, if that makes a difference.  It is in the middle of
> a pipe, receiving input from sort and giving output to another instance
> of sort.  Everything should have unix-style line-endings.  The pipe is
> running under ash.  The script actually used a tab character instead of
> the "\t" escape sequence.  I changed it to "\t" below in the hope that
> that might be easier to read in this email.
>
>   gawk '  BEGIN   { FS = OFS = "\t" }
>                   {
>                   Key = $2 "\t" $3 "\t" $4
>                   InfoNew[Key] = $5
>                   DateNew[Key] = $1
>                   if (InfoOld[Key] == "") {
>                           InfoOld[Key] = InfoNew[Key]
>                           DateOld[Key] = DateNew[Key] }
>                   if (InfoNew[Key] != InfoOld[Key]) {
>                           print DateOld[Key], Key, InfoOld[Key]
>                           InfoOld[Key] = InfoNew[Key]
>                           DateOld[Key] = DateNew[Key] }
>                   }
>           END     {
>                   for (Key in InfoOld) {
>                           print DateOld[Key], Key, InfoOld[Key] }
>                   }'
>
> Do I need to send anything else?

Can you embed this in a minimal testscript to reproduce the effect,
together with a few lines (<10) of a typical input file?

Corinna

Red Hat