Re: GCC 4.x+

Brian Dessent wrote:
Angelo Graziosi wrote:

I have built GCC-3.4.6, 4.0.3, 4.1.0 in this way (using the Cygwin
GCC-3.4.4-1):

   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-3.4.6           (or 4.0.3, 4.1.0)
   make
   make install

I like to use --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs because it seems cleaner and that's the way the Cygwin gcc packages do it. I also use --disable-nls since I don't care for those dozens of various message catalog files for languages I don't speak.

You will also need --enable-sjlj-exceptions if you ever plan to compile
code that could throw an exception inside a stack frame containing
foreign (non-DW2-enabled) compiled code, such as a win32 callback.  This
can be common in win32 GUI applications, but not an issue if you don't
use C++ exceptions and/or you don't write code that could be called from
a win32 callback.  The dwarf2 EH is a lot faster too.

I thought there were some patches to the cygwin gcc 3.4.x version that had not yet been migrated to the official sources? I'd be glad to be wrong, however.

Also, wasn't there some issue with the std::string implementation that was causing problems for both cygwin-special and mingw-special g++? Otherwise, if it's so simple, I don't understand why Gerrit hasn't released gcc-4.x as a test version, nor [OT:] why Danny hasn't released a gcc-4.0 candidate for mingw.

Other than "we're just mean". :-)

I mean, hey, they're volunteers and far be it from me to criticize, given my lackluster record as a maintainer of late...but somehow I doubt that it's really as easy as you claim -- otherwise those two guys woulda done it by now.

--
Chuck