Re: Why only 1 cygwin1.dll?

On 3/25/06, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> It is not 100% complete but I guess something like that should be in
> the FAQ under a heading of:
>
>  Q) I see the way you're doing things and I don't agree.  Certainly I
>  know more about this then you do.  Please prove me wrong, although I
>  doubt that you can.  Go ahead, I dare you?
>
> Then we can include descriptions of why there should be only one version
> of cygwin1.dll.  Why /dev isn't the perfect replacement for /cygdrive.
> Why we don't default to c:\ as the root directory for cygwin.  Why
> setup.exe doesn't install everything by default.  Why setup.exe installs
> so much by default.  and why -mno-cygwin really does produce binaries
> that have nothing to do with cygwin and, so, therefore, discussion of
> said binaries doesn't belong here.

We do already have FAQs for "Why not install in C:\?"  and "Why the
weird directory structure?". There is a FAQ for "How do I compile a
Win32 executable that doesn't use Cygwin?" but it doesn't specifically
mention that discussion of the binaries doesn't belong here (and in
fact specifically says that -mno-cygwin should not be confused with
mingw -- whereas when someone asks about -mno-cygwin on this ML
everyone always directs them to talk to the mingw lists).  There
already is "How do I just get everything?" which sort of explains why
setup downloads as much/little as it does. I couldn't see any FAQ for
why /dev doesn't replace /cygdrive though.

If you're saying that you this kind of question shouldn't be humoured,
then maybe just:

Q) I see the way you're doing things and I don't agree.  Certainly I
know more about this then you do.  Please prove me wrong, although I
doubt that you can.  Go ahead, I dare you?

A) See:
http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/winsup/cygwin/how-cygheap-works.txt?rev=1.5&content-type=text/plain&cvsroot=src

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/winsup/cygwin/how-cygtls-works.txt?rev=1.1&content-type=text/plain&cvsroot=src

See also: