Re: Locales with wrong umlauts

Igor Peshansky wrote:
> The system has no idea what charset it's using, because it depends on the
> font you set for your terminal, which is outside of the terminal's
> control.  Even if you use a Unicode font with charset conversion, the
> charset is specified outside of the console.

Oh? I had no idea about that.
Then the "Arial" distributed with latin1-like CP1252 areas (most western
europe) is a different font that the "Arial" used in eastern europe
(CP1250 AFAIR?) or the "Arilal" used for cyrillic-using places (CP1251?)?

Anyway, regarding file names, I don't think it is correct to say that
the name depends on the font: the "correct" name depends on the system
default codepage (or, well, since I guess underneath in now uses Unicode
let's say "the codepage used for retro-compatibility in the non-unicode
system calls").
If I have a filename with accents I want "ls" to show it "just like
Explorer", at least by default, with no explicit override on my part
using .Xdefaults or "rxvt -fn".

OK, maybe I prefer to use a CP850-font like LucidaP because I want to
see line-drawings in "mc" and thus every accent will be messed up, but
that's another matter 0=)
> Is there any way to tell mv, rm &co to display non-ASCII characters in
> filenames?  I know this isn't Cygwin-specific, but I'm not even sure what
> to Google for.
Ohh, us poor non-ASCII-using people, don't you know it is just plain
wrong to use "strange accents" in filenames? Even more "wrong" starting
a filename with a dot or (what horror) using an extension more than 3
chars long! (just kidding ^_^)

    Lapo

PS:
don't we blame Cygwin too much, many Windows apps has problems with
unicode. E.g. if I create a folder name with japanese characters in it,
most applications are not even able to save a file in it.