Re: Find not working w/ Samba drive

 <rowol <at> mysticind.com> writes:

> I'm having a problem with FIND not working on WinXP with a Samba drive on
> an older FreeBSD server.

Thank you for finally posting to cygwin (see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-findutils/2006-04/msg00002.html
for the original thread at bug-findutils, and for my pleas to report
this bug to the correct list).

> V:\>find --version
> GNU find version 4.3.0
> Features enabled: O_NOFOLLOW(enabled) LEAF_OPTIMISATION FTS
>
> The cygwin1.dll is version 1.5.19-cr-0x5ef/2006-01-20 13:28

However, you are still missing some information.  Attaching a huge
strace without being asked by one of the cygwin developers is often
a waste of bandwidth, since they already know about the changing inode
bug present with some versions of remote Samba drives, and can
already reproduce the problem.  What is needed instead is the output
of 'cygcheck -svr', as detailed here:

Also, Corinna would like to see more details about the Samba drive
you are connecting to.  What version is it, and what is the output
of the program mentioned in this email?
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-01/msg00818.html

> Find says the directories do not exist:
>
> V:\>find
> .

This is because of the changing inode bug in older versions of
Samba.  Corinna checked in a patch on March 31st that tries to
tell various Samba versions apart, have you tried the 20060403
snapshot yet?  Although I maintain the cygwin findutils port,
I am unable to help further on this issue since I don't have
access to a Samba drive.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin findutils maintainer