Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: apache2-2.2.0-1

zzapper wrote:

> Are people actually moving to Apache 2.x yet?, I was scared off in the
> early days by talk that it didn't yet support PHP etc.

That is mostly FUD.  PHP itself has been thread-safe for years.  The
problem is that PHP typically links against a large number of external
libraries, and not all of them can guarantee thread safety, nor do the
PHP developers have any desire to go mucking about in other people's
code to try to find and solve tricky bugs.  So they spread this "we
can't recommend threaded apache" FUD instead.

However the whole issue is moot, because you can still use the prefork
MPM in apache 2.x which works exactly as 1.3 does, without any threads.

Anyone that tries to convince you that 1.3 is better than 2.x is just
saying so out of irrational fear, not for any technical reason.  1.3 has
been frozen in stone with no new features for probably half a decade
now, so it's like saying, "my carbeaurated chevy from the 60s still gets
me to work and I don't want any of this fancy pants modern car stuff
like fuel injection."  Sure, don't change what works, whatever.  For
some people that's more important than anything else.  But the technical
arguments presented are essentially unfounded.

Brian