Re: Setting up chroot jail with cygwin

Bryan D. Thomas wrote:
"Kevin Hilton" wrote:
Can anyone point me to a link telling me how to set up a chrooted jail
with cygwin?

I used this:

$ /bin/chroot.exe --help

Can that be relied upon? chroot is a system call on Unix and Linux, which is how it can ensure that the process doesn't step outside the box. Is there a comparable feature in the Windows kernel that provides the same feature? Lacking that, all a determined hacker would have to do when attacking a buffer overrun bug is make their injected code first attack the cygwin1.dll before doing whatever nefarious task they want to do.