Re: Cygrunsrv starts service but reports that it didn't start

Jet Wilda wrote:
[snip]
> $ cygrunsrv -I samhain -d "CYGWIN samhain" -p /usr/local/sbin/samhain -a
> "-D" -e "CYGWIN=ntsec tty"
[snip]
> The samhain log file just reports that it started and is why it isn't
> included.  Does this have to do with the way samhain forks to become a
> daemon?  If so how would I get it so that I can start and stop the
> service via the services panel or via cygrunsrv?

You have two choices:

cygrunsrv -I samhain -d "CYGWIN samhain" -p /usr/local/sbin/samhain -a --foreground

or see if it creates a .pid file and use

cygrunsrv -I samhain -d "CYGWIN samhain" -p /usr/local/sbin/samhain -a -D
-x /var/run/samhain.pid

where I used "/var/run/samhain.pid" as an example.

You'll have to check that all files and directories where the daemon writes or
creates files are usable by user SYSTEM which, unless you change it, is the user
who will be running the service.
--
René Berber