Re: XP embedded

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 12:05:04PM -0400, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> >
> >FWIW, /dev/zero is not always the proper substitution for /dev/null
> >(i.e., on input redirection, it will work differently).

> >>Sorry, no.  We already have enough special cases in the code.  We're
> >>not going to start adding more for XP Embedded.
> >
> >What I'm wondering is whether we need the Windows NUL device at all for
> >implementing /dev/null...  It's rather trivial[*] to implement one
> >without resorting to a Windows device.  Would there be any way of
> >distinguishing an emulation from the real NUL device?
>
> Wasn't that the point that the OP was making and to which I responded?

Umm, not quite.  The OP was proposing doing this conditionally, if NUL is
not present.  I was asking what the drawbacks of always using an emulated
null device were.

> I really do understand this stuff, Igor.
>
> When possible we always try to use the underlying device.  There are
> obvious benefits to doing things this way and there is no reason to
> abandon this policy for XP Embedded.

Ok, I understand the issue now.  Thanks for explaining it.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"