Re: Not being given the option of installing packages on setup

René Berber wrote:

Igor Peshansky wrote:
[snip]

Please make sure your mailer respects the Reply-To: header -- I set it
for a reason. Both Dave and I read the list regularly -- it was not
necessary to Cc: us.

Practice what you preach. You are also sending cc (to me at least), and you do
it all the time.

But when anybody who replies to a message of you automaticly has your name in the To: Field and has to add cygwin@cygwin.com additionally. So everybody expects *you* would like to have the answer and as an option it can be also send to the list. While replying to Igor it goes directly to the list without causing additional work.

[snip]

Thanks for the note on not cc'ing you. I don't know how to reply to a
message if it doesn't come into my inbox. The messages I got from Dave and
from Rene earlier today only went to the list, and I can only see them by
looking at the archives.

You can subscribe to the list, and all messages sent to the list will
arrive in your inbox.

Or you can read the messages from a newsgroup reader, no need to subscribe. I
use my regular email reader Thunderbird for this, connected to gmane.news; you
can reply directly from that setting.

No wounder everybody is so confused. gmane.news dosn't exist. I guess you meant news.gmane.org ?

[snip]

So perl was not installed on your laptop. When you attached the output of
"cygcheck -svr", was that from the laptop or from the desktop?\

The output didn't show perl installed (in http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/77022).

[snip]

WinNT means NT-based Windows systems (which includes Win2k and WinXP). At
the top left of the console window frame there should be an icon.
Clicking that icon brings up a menu (you can also get that menu by
right-clicking on the console title bar). The last item in that menu is
"Properties" -- that's what the FAQ entry refers to.

But it's not there if you are using rxvt, only if you use the regular cmd window (a.k.a. Command prompt).

Keep it simple people.

Alex

--
And God said"Let there be light."But then the program crashed because he was trying to access the 'light' property of a NULL universe pointer.

Alexander J. Herrmann
Analyst/Programmer
http://www.aiengine.org
Email: Ping2Weltall@Gmail.com