Re: Cygwin and Interix interoperability?

On Apr 21 11:38, mwoehlke wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >They are not understood by Windows, and that's documented.  They are
> >just translated into the file type they are pointing to by the NFS
> >client and then presented as file or directory to Windows clients.
>
> Sorry for the confusion; that's what I meant. The point is, you can
> request an open on a symlink (including symlinks in the *middle* of a
> path) and it will transparently "work". That isn't the case for .lnk
> files (and unfortunately, neither way works on non-NFS volumes yet).

I don't get it.  We're using .lnk symlinks for quite some time and open
works transparently with them.  As for *real* symlink support, we're
waiting patiently for OS support (Vista/Longhorn).

> IMO making them look like hard links is better than making them obvious
> but less usable.

Still, there's no API to create symlinks since Win32 doesn't understand
symlinks.  Either create them with Interix or on the Unix machine which
provides the NFS shares.  For Cygwin they are just files or directories,
as for any other Win32 application.

> At any rate, Cygwin *isn't* the Windows API... Why shouldn't Cygwin be
> allowed to get it right for those API's that ask for POSIX-style
> permissions?

Cygwin is running in the Windows subsystem, Interix isn't.  Cygwin can
only use functions in the Win32 API, or in the native NT API as far as
the call is allowed from user space.

> How are you getting this information? Explorer won't give you "normal"
> security attributes on an NFS volume... is there a command-line tool I
> don't know about, or did you write your own?

I tweaked my local Cygwin, but you can just simply write your own
application using the Win32 API.  The required functions are all
documented.

Corinna

Red Hat