Re: rsync over ssh hang issue understood

<snip>
>   Doesn't even run once for me.  Creating all the files over ssh works fine
> but the rsync invocation fails with

> (Client) Protocol versions: remote=1919251285, negotiated=29
> protocol version mismatch -- is your shell clean?
> (see the rsync man page for an explanation)

When you log into the target, if there is any output on standard out,
it can cause this message, which is what is meant by 'is your shell
clean'.  rsync runs rsync on the target via ssh and then both copies
of rsync communicate with each other over their standard descriptors.

The first communication is their version and protocol, if something
else prints on the standard out of the target, it will cause the
client to become confused.  ssh into your target and see what prints
during login.

If you simply type rsync on each system, you should see a line such as:

rsync  version 2.6.6  protocol version 29

which can help in the case in which it isn't a printing issue, it is
an actual mismatched protocol version.

Brett