Re: "Ghost" processes on Cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 05:12:31PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
I'm seeing something funny. While trying to build a large program on Cygwin using cl.exe (i.e. I am building a non-Cygwin app; just using Cygwin to drive 'make'), every now and then, cl.exe hangs. Before you tell me I'm on the wrong list :-), here's the funny part. If I do 'ps' in Cygwin, I can see the 'cl' process, along with its WINPID. However, it doesn't show up in task manager! Also, there are about five processes that are clearly Cygwin processes (bash.exe or sh.exe) that do NOT show up in Cygwin's 'ps'.

Is there any logic to this that I'm missing?

Yes. Windows doesn't implement the exec* family of linux system calls so cygwin has to kludge it.

Ok, thanks for the information. It looks like it is actually bash that is hanging (I wonder, is the exec() failing to clean up properly), but I'm not sure what to do about it. If I try to attach with gdb, gdb hangs (but I can 'kill' it with a fatal - i.e. not-SIGINT - signal). Any suggestions on where to go from here to try to debug this? Is there a 'gdb-on-cygwin' howto somewhere that I'm missing?

(See also http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-04/msg00844.html)

--
Matthew
Ok, so the quotes aren't entirely original.