Re: Fixing the state of C++ in Cygwin

Dave Korn wrote:

>   This sounds like an error in your configure arguments getting transcribed
> into the generated makefiles to me.  It's not an extra '&& )', it's something
> missing between the '&&' and the ')' that's the real problem, and that
> probably happened because a shell variable used to generate the output from
> that stage of configure ended up being empty because of a failure of a
> pattern-match earlier on because of a mis-spelt option.  (Well, for example.)
> Configure scripts aren't terribly robust against syntax issues and
> metacharacters, let's just hope nobody ever invents a target triplet with
> backtick-rm-dash-rf-star-backtick in it![*]

I think this is one of those "generic build script used to be written
for ash but now sh is bash" problems that have been reported on other
GBS script packages recently.

>   You probably shouldn't be patching anything at all.  Gcc should build for
> cygwin OOTB; there are cygwin-specific patches that add things like
> -mno-cygwin, but the basic compiler should be fine as it stands.

-mno-cygwin ought to work fine from the stock FSF sources I'm told
(provided of course that you build it twice, once as i686-pc-cygwin and
then again as i686-pc-mingw and install them to the same prefix.)

Brian