Re: rsync over ssh hang issue understood

This is really a tricky problem.  What I could do to circumvent this at
least for connections over ssh is to upload an OpenSSH test version
which uses socketpairs instead of pipes for the local connection to the
applications.  This avoids using pipes which are the culprit here,
apparently.    I would mark it as experimental version, but actually the
only difference would be that it would be a few per cent slower than the
version using pipes.  And that it probably doesn't hang.

It has been so long since I gave up on this that I forgot building my own version of rsync to do exactly this.

I've noticed multiple postings indicating issues with pipes.  Wouldn't
it be better to track this down, it would likely fix multiple
problems.

Brett