Re: Geomview & Cygwin setup

(adding in the geomview and cygwin lists.)

Chris,

Looking at the changes in:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/geomview/geomview/src/bin/animate/glob.c
there are specific fixes for Cygwin portability that have been included in Geomview 1.8.2 alpha that affect d_ino use; try changing the sense of !defined(__CYGWIN__) to just defined(__CYGWIN__) and see if that works with your compiler. I imagine it will.

I see the output of gcc -v has changed in current cygwin:
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special) (gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

It used to be just e.g.:
gcc version 3.3.3 (cygwin special)

cygming, not cygwin? ('ming' is a strong insult in the UK. I get the impression the writer doesn't like cygwin.) No idea what pre-release gdc or dmd are, or where they've come from, or why I should care about them.

It's awfully tempting to conclude that the compiler is screwing you around (because the compiler's authors have been screwing it around, because they hate Cygwin?), and you might want to to try an earlier version of that. I also wonder if __CYGWIN__ is being defined and picked up in the compiler environment correctly.

I'm actually running Geomview 1.8.1 and Geomview 1.8.2-alpha on top of cygwin base 1.5.19-4... but I compiled them on a much earlier cygwin with an earlier version of gcc, and on an entirely different machine that I recently migrated the files from. (I haven't tried recompiling, and your note suggests I would be unwise to.)

But I have compiled SaVi and Geomview on an earlier Cygwin;
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/savi/savi-dev/README?rev=1.36&view=markup
tells me the first base Cygwin I used successfully was 1.5.9-1, and also lists the successful versions of gcc.

cheers,

L.

> Hi Lloyd,
>
> I'm a masters student at UBC in Vancouver and I'm trying to get Geomview
> installed on my Windows machine. I'm following the instructions that
> you've posted via <http://geomview.org>geomview.org but my compilation is running into an
> error. It seems in glob.c (in directory
> geomview-1.8.2-alpha/src/bin/animate) there is a reference to d_ino of
> the dirent structure. Now from my research into fixing this it seems
> that d_ino is not supported in version 1.5.19-4 but will be in 1.5.20, I
> also tried with version 1.5.8-1 with the same result. Do you know of any
> way I can get around this problem? I hope this is description is
> satisfactory, if you need any clarification please let me know.

Cheers,
Chris Elliott

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood><L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>