Re: rsync over ssh hang issue understood

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
It works fine for me with the latest snapshot. I tried Peter's
example with 1000 files and rsync over ssh works like a charm for me.
Sigh.

This is really a tricky problem.  What I could do to circumvent this
at least for connections over ssh is to upload an OpenSSH test version
which uses socketpairs instead of pipes for the local connection to
the applications.  This avoids using pipes which are the culprit here,
apparently.    I would mark it as experimental version, but actually
the only difference would be that it would be a few per cent slower
than the version using pipes.  And that it probably doesn't hang.

Is there interest in such a version?

Good news this does fix the issue. I've just successfully done an rsync of ~1G ( 1700 files ) with no problem at all.

Also note that due to the existing performance issues in ssh ( I've
still not had chance to dig more about that sorry ) there is NO
noticable slowdown when comparing this version to the baseline
version of openssh.

All in all this version is a massive improvement which is fantastic
news!!!

Many thanks Corinna.

Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.