Re: Geomview & Cygwin setup

Lloyd Wood wrote:
At Friday 2006-04-28 18:16 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
On 28 April 2006 18:04, Lloyd Wood wrote:

> At Friday 2006-04-28 17:44 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:

>>> Having identification behaviour dependent on a cygwin-specific flag
>>> like this is.. insane.
>>
>> When you use -mno-cygwin, you are invoking A DIFFERENT
>> compiler. Having the
>> *same* identification for two different compilers that target different
>> targets would be insane.
>
> But gee, that's exactly what gcc -v provides. A single identification
> for both compilers.

<smacks forehead> How many times, for crying out loud? The output of "gcc
-v" IS NOT A FORMAL IDENTIFIER OF ANY SORT WHATSOEVER.

> Why isn't there a gcc -v -mno-cygwin, then?

Because it's still the same compiler package? Because nobody has ever cared
about it because nobody has ever been daft enough to attempt to misuse the
"gcc -v" output in this way before?

What, reading gcc -v's output using eyes and a screen is misuse?

> It's all positively minging. (Chris: note the usage tip. First g
> pronounced as j, so it's unlike any Chinese dynasties or Flash
> Gordon's nemesis.)

  Actually it's minging to rhyme with singing, as anyone who has watched
Little Britain or Catherine Tate's show should know.

Ah, that would be the BBC's "received pronunciation" take on the term.

Isn't this thread getting a bit off-topic? Llyod, if you feel there is a problem here that needs a resolution, may I suggest that you submit a patch? At least then the discussion could turn from visual and linguistic aspects of gcc back to technical.

Holliston, MA 01746