Re: Problem at while installing at post install stage

On 4/30/06, Lie Ryan <lie.1296@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm a newbie on Cygwin. Some post install script got hangs while
installing Cygwin. There is no error message, the installer is
responding well. The post install just refuse to finish, there are not
only one script that experience this hang, some scripts got this
problem, others doesn't.

In the task manager, there are several process called bash.exe or
ash.exe the number of this process is roughly around the number I've
tried to run setup.  Tried running setup script from other download
source, but still failed to continue.

One of the hang scripts is 00ash.sh and update-info-dir.sh (currently
installing with default setting)
etc (I don't take note of the other, this is the one that is currently
hanging).
At the moment of writing, restarting Cygwin installer won't fix the
hang. Before, restarting could bring to the next script, but there is
still some script that refuse to end.

In the end, I renamed the hanging scripts. Is this OK?  Is there a way
to manually run the script? Outside Cygwin interface (by windows
interface) since currently Cygwin shell, bash, etc is inaccesible.

Platform: XP SP2

My timeline of problem (too long to describe one by one):
First install (def. setting) > Program runs well > Installing other
packages, programs, etc > Run Still well > Missing cygwin.bat for
unknown reason > Reinstall > Problem Persist > Deleted C:/cygwin,
forgot deleting registry > Installing Cygwin again (Full) > MAIN
PROBLEM, unable to finish installation because some script refuse to
finish. No error message, the installer is responding. > Closed Cygwin
Installer > Rerun Cygwin Installer  > Reinstall Cygwin (continue from
left off) > Installer tries to rerun the hang script > Some Scripts
Run Fine > Meet another hang script > .... repeat the line Closed
Cygwin Installer several times ..... > Gives up on the problem,
searching on the net > See the registry cleaning thingie > Uninstall
Cygwin, delete c:/cygwin, then clean registry > Reinstall Cygwin >
Meet the MAIN PROBLEM again, repeat this step several times,
reinstall, uninstall, etc, etc, etc > Give up again > Subscribe to
mailing list > Send this mail.

Note: I've STFW and have seen no similar problem.