RE: cron issue

>>1. What command sequence did you use to start the
>>   cron service on your computer?  (In general, what
>>   commands did you use to set up package X?  Or, what
>>   commands did you run prior to encountering a problem?)

>[RD] I went the minimal effort route and ran /usr/bin/cron-config.

I think this is the recommended method for people who are setting
up the cron service for the first time.

>I don't have a command line explicitly.  What DOES happen at the
>minimum is that cygrunsrv installs a service called cron running
>as the user rdavies (me) using ntsec.  I can confirm that the
>service is running, and that ps -ef reports that cron is active
>and running as the rdavies user.

Have you tried running the commands recommended by cron_diagnose.sh
for shutting down/uninstalling/installing/restarting the cron service,
i.e., the following?

C_d>If you are still unable to get cron to work, then try shutting
C_d>down the cron service, uninstalling it, reinstalling it, and
C_d>restarting it.
C_d>
C_d>The following commands will do that:
C_d>  $ cygrunsrv --stop cron
C_d>  $ cygrunsrv --remove cron
C_d>  $ cygrunsrv --install cron -p /usr/sbin/cron -a -D
C_d>      (You can also add a -u switch)
C_d>  $ cygrunsrv --start cron
C_d>
C_d>If the cron service does not start, try deleting the file
C_d>/var/run/cron.pid and then repeating the commands above.
C_d>
C_d>Also, examine the log file for cron, /var/log/cron.log,
C_d>for information that it might give you about the problem cron
C_d>is having.

>[RD] Symbolic link to exim:
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 rdavies mkgroup-l-d 13 May 15 16:46 /usr/sbin/sendmail ->
/usr/bin/exim

I am not sure whether the fact that you have not set a group value for
your user account has any effect on your ability to run a cron service.
I do not think that it does.

---