Re: Access rights for directories

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Eric Lilja wrote:

> Hello, I'm using rxvt and I'm having a problem that folders I create (I
> create both from inside rxvt and using explorer) have different rights
> and thus are color-coded differently by rxvt. First I thought that
> directories created using cygwin's mkdir got one set of access rights
> and those created using explorer got another set. But I just tried in a
> test directory and the two directories got the same (the correct) access
> rights..so I don't know exactly when this occurs.
>
> $ ls -al
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x+  4 mikael None 0 Jun  1 00:33 ./
> drwxrwxrwx+ 10 mikael None 0 Jun  1 00:33 ../
> drwxr-xr-x+  2 mikael None 0 Jun  1 00:31 fromcygwin/
> drwxr-xr-x+  2 mikael None 0 Jun  1 00:33 fromexplorer/
>
> The only weird looking directory is the special .., and it's color-coded
> blue-on-green instead of blue-on-black. And I created test using
> mkdir...anyone know what's going on and is there a way to make sure all
> directories are created using the same access rights unless I explicitly
> state differently?

It's not rxvt that's coloring your directories -- it's ls (via the
DIR_COLORS mechanism).  The default colors have changed in the new
coreutils, and are coloring world-writeable directories (which is what
Explorer creates by default) differently.  You can turn that off by
editing /etc/DIR_COLORS to change the lines that contain "OTHER_WRITABLE"

STICKY_OTHER_WRITABLE 01;34 # dir that is sticky and other-writable (+t,o+w)
OTHER_WRITABLE 01;34 # dir that is other-writable (o+w) and not sticky

that will color those directories the same as your normal ones.  You will
also need to uncomment the bit in your /etc/profile that says

eval "`/usr/bin/dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS`"

The only caveat is that the /etc/DIR_COLORS that comes with coreutils
isn't quite the default directory colors, so you'll see some other weird
changes in directory colors.  You can also use "dircolors -p" to print the
current database, and then change the above 2 values.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"