cygwin fork problem maybe?

A problem I reported in trying to install "File::BOM" (module to handle files with Unicode Byte-Order-Marks) under CPAN originally here:
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-02/msg00238.html last February
is still a problem. I bounced it off of the module maintainer, and he
believes the problem has to do with "forking", not FIFO use.

His test works under AS Perl, but he doesn't think he'll be able to
get his module to work under cygwin with these problems.

A summary snippet of the last email I got from him is included below.

The symptoms of the hung processes are still the same -- both instances
of perl running the test completely lock-up and are unkillable in the cygwin
environment

Is there any chance of getting someone to look at this problem?

I'm rather depressed at the number of Win32 modules that don't work under
cygwin.  I know this may be considered a "feature" by some, but if I wanted
a POSIXish environment that was incompatible with Win32, I'd run linux, but
I want a *nix environment that lets me access the native system's
features.  If it was only a few Win32 modules that had problems, that'd be
one thing, but I feel overwhelmed by the number of incompatibilities.

Anyway I didn't know fork was such a problem on Windows...

thanks for any help on this...
-linda