Re: Installed Applications?

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, Richard Foulk wrote:

> Aloha,
>
> I'm looking for a good way to determine the software packages installed
> on a machine.
>
> We're hoping to do this remotely on a network of clients by mounting a
> client's drive and rummaging around.
>
> Is there an easy/reliable way to do this with Cygwin?

If you've set up sshd on the remote machine, 'ssh MACHINE "cygcheck -cd"'
ought to do it.  Otherwise, looking at the drive is probably not going to
get you anything reliably (in a way that's guaranteed to always work).
For a non-portable hack using the current settings, look at the source of
the Cygwin setup program.

Incidentally, most software leaves traces in the registry, at well-known
keys, so the easiest way to check for it is look in the registry (as it
may actually be installed anywhere).  The same is the case with Cygwin
(look for "HK(LM|CU)/Software/Cygnus Solutions/Cygwin" -- even though the
mount information might be moved out at some point, the key itself will
probably stay around).  Though how you intend to browse the registry on a
mounted drive is not very clear.
HTH,
	Igor
--