Re: error starting sshd as a service

On 07/01/2006, Raymond Blum wrote:
My Win2003 server sshd stopped working last night, from the time of day I assume that it was an MS Windows update and in hindsight perhaps windows FW had started blocking it and it was reparable but... I decided instead to upgrade my Cygwin installation to the current release (bad move)

I have it at the point where I can run sshd as the sshd_server user ("/usr/sbin/sshd -D") but when I start it as a service I get the message in the event viewer
"The sshd service was unable to log on as .\sshd_server with the currently configured password due to the following error: The parameter is incorrect."

I tried, against popular advice in the archives, to run as the local system account and turn off privilege separation in sshd_config but while the service started I then got the error "seteuid 1003 no such process" in the application event log every time I tried to ssh into the machine. So, I abandoned that effort and put it back to running as sshd_server.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, checked the password for the user several times.

I have also googled and tried various advice offered on different pages for the last 6 hours. So, I decided that it is time to ask for help.

Here is what I have from cygrunsrv
$cygrunsrv -L
sshd
cygserver

$cygrunsrv -Q sshd
Service : sshd
Display name : CYG SSHD
Current State : Started
Command : /usr/sbin/sshd -D

I have no idea what parameter it is that's invalid (or even what command it is a parameter to) - ie a parameter to cygrunsrv or a parameter to sshd.

I have the machine running sshd -D from a session logged in as sshd_server but obviously this is not acceptable in the long term.

Thanks for reading this far, any advice or ideas?

Yes. Please read and follow the problem reporting guidelines found here:

> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

You've told us what the problem is you're having but not much in the way of
details of what you have installed or what you did to configure sshd.  So I'd
suggest starting with the basics back at the beginning.

Holliston, MA 01746