latex problem 'Fatal format file error'

Hello,
I have just installed cygwin on my new computer (Dell Precision 2-processor system). I have installed everything in exactly the same manner as I did on my old computer. Everything worked as expected on my old computer on which I had installed cygwin about 9 months ago.
When I tried running latex on my new computer, I seem to have a problem with a file named "latex.fmt". The error message indicates a format file error. I will list some of the messages that appear after I run. I would appreciate any input on this matter.
Thank you.
Sule Ozev

latex filename.tex
This is pdfeTeXk, Version3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
%&-line parsing enabled.
kpathsea:Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
fmtutil: running 'tex -ini -jobname=latex -progname=latex latex.ini' ...

MORE MESSAGES ON WHAT FILES USED

No pages of output
Transcript written on latex.log.
fmtutil: /web2c/latex.fmt installed.
---! /web2c/latex.fmt was written by tex
(Fatal formal file error; I'm stymied)