Re: Probllem with New GDB/Eclipse

Doyle Rhynard wrote:
[snip]
>> "Broken gdb" or broken Eclipse plugin? (remember when eclipse could
>> not work with recent cvs versions, you were stuck with cvs 1.10.x?)
>>
>> Do you know the difference, yes? then complain to the right people.
>
> The previous version of gdb works properly with Eclipse, including the
> newest version. Along comes a new gdb and compatibility fails. Trashing
> gdb-20060706 and restoring gdb-20041228 solves the problem. You tell me,
> was the old version not working correctly or is the new version broken?

Neither.  And you don't get the point above... the same happened with cvs, new
version and Eclipse doesn't work, or to be precise the eclipse plugin did not
work with the new format of cvs responses.

So who is responsible?  The people improving their software or the plugins that
depend on details that can change very easily.

> When others depend upon what you do, the old maximum for physicians
> should apply also: "First, do no harm". My suggestion is to roll back
> the default gdb installation to its previous version and classify the
> new one as experimental.

Yep, similar to what we use when doing support in my company: first backup what
is installed and working, then install the new version, if everything works fine
you are done, otherwise restore the backup... that's what _you_ should do, not
the people making gdb or cvs or whatever.

The point here is "the functionality of gdb is well defined, and it has nothing
to do with supporting plugins or other software".
--
René Berber