Re: dselect - formally Re: Running as root

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Stephen Grant Brown wrote:

Hi Dave and all the other people on this list,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave" <kilroyd@XXXXXXXXXX.XXX>
To: "Stephen Grant Brown" <s_g_brown@XXXX.XXX.XX>
Cc: <cygwin@XXXXXX.XXX>

Hi, Stephen. First off, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. Thanks. Secondly, attaching a BMP file to show the output of a text-only program is pretty wasteful (not to mention bothersome to open). More below.

Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 7:17 PM
Subject: Re: dselect - formally Re: Running as root

> Stephen Grant Brown wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > The output of the program (which is dselect) I am having trouble
> > with is in the attached file.
> > How do I find out which file has read-only access?
> >
> > I am making the assumption that if a program is in the cygwin
> > distribution, the cygwin community would like to get it working
> > properly. Is this assumption valid? assume = ass + U + me.
>
> As Brian said in a separate thread:
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-01/msg00632.html

I have reread that post.

> Just to repeat. If you trying to update cygwin, please use setup.exe,
> the only supported mechanism for doing so.

I used setup.exe only a night or two before I did the post. I installed
the latest of everything.
dselect is a package installed by the cygwin setup.exe.

I believe what Dave meant was that you cannot update Cygwin using dpkg.

> If you are looking for a mechanism to do updates via the command line,
> there isn't a tool do this. However setup.exe can be fooled into doing
> this (please Google), and there are attempts to make setup.exe more
> useful from the command line.
>
> There are a few package managers from Linux distributions available
> (dselect and rpm are the ones I can think of). As far as I know these
> are only present for two reasons:
> - to allow inspection of packages for these distributions

I am unable to use dselect for the inspection of packages in the Debian
distribution.

Eh? I don't see this in your screen dump. All it says is that you will be unable to *install* the packages, only preview the available selections. Looks like that's exactly what you want to do as you stated above. I also don't see any mention of the root user.

Please let us know what the exact error message was, and why it made you
think you needed root access.

> - to help investigations of the feasability of other packaging methods
> for cygwin.
>
> None of them are currently capable of maintaining a cygwin
> installation.
>
> Also, you will note that dpkg was last updated in 2002 and IIRC is
> looking for a maintainer (or may be culled at any time).
>
> If you still want help with dselect, I suggest you describe exactly
> what you are trying to do with it, and the steps you take which lead
> to the problem. It will them become clear whether or not that
> behaviour is expected to work or not.

I open a bash shell. I type dselect at the command line. The error comes
up as in the attached screen dump.

I see no error -- only an informational message that no packages can be installed (but you didn't expect to be able to install Debian packages on Cygwin anyway, did you?). HTH, Igor -- http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/ |\ _,,,---,,_ pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu | igor@watson.ibm.com ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ Igor Peshansky, Ph.D. (name changed!) |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski '---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"