Re: Perl failure

Bruce Dobrin wrote:
Hi, I stripped down the code to a small testable bit. The problem seems to
occur when I reach 256 forks on a cygwin1.5.18 or 19 but not on my
cygwin1.5.5. win2k system. The original code give the forked process
time to finish, but it still looks like it eats it after about 256
iterations ( it actually failed between 259 and 252 iterations, but
it's pretty complicated so I'm not sure what else was happening).

Here is my test code:
dobrin@tiburon:/tmp> cat test8.pl ################
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;
my $pid;

foreach my $incr (`seq 1 1 800`) {
unless (defined ($pid = fork)) {
die " cannot fork $!";
}
unless ($pid) {
print " the sequence is $incr \n";
exit;
}
print "pid is $pid\n";
}

###############

The error here is :
cannot fork Resource temporarily unavailable at ./test8.pl line 11.
panic: MUTEX_LOCK (45) [op.c:354].

On cygwin1.5.5 it finishes successfully.  I'm not sure if there is
anything else I can try,  I'm looking around for some other machines
with older cygwins on them to establish what version it stopped working
in.

It may make more sense to move forward and see if the problem still
exists in a snapshot version - <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746