Re: How can I copy the configuration from one PC to another?

Chris Croughton wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 00:05:45 +0200, Daniela Duerbeck <daniela.duerbeck@gmx.de> wrote:

I think that several people have this problem: If you get a new PC you have to manually switch on all programs that you want or need.
Is it possible to copy the configuration from one PC to another and if, how?

Seconded! I always forget some packages. If it were in a straight text file it could also be used to 'diff' two systems to find version and installation differences.

You mean like 'cygcheck -c[d]'?

Also, a search facility in setup.exe would be really useful, some of the
packages are not obviously sorted (ssh for instance is sorted under 'O'
for 'openssh').

You mean like 'cygcheck -f /usr/bin/ssh'?

If you search the email archives you will find more than one reference for a way to "clone" an installation. The simplest, IMO, is to just install from the second machine using the local download directory of the first. This won't automatically configure services like OpenSSH and so on but I think you'll realize this is a good thing if you stop to think about it for a moment.

Holliston, MA 01746