1.5.20(0.156/4/2) pipe hangs, dos files

I guess I must send this again since no one replied the first time.
----

For the sake of argument, there are two "fileformat=dos" files A and B, each
having n lines. A has the single character 'a' (other than linebreaks) on each
line, B has the single character 'b' on each line.

Now for sufficiently large values of n (starts around 2500 but 10000 almost
always has this behaviour), the following command simply hangs:
paste A B | awk '{print NF}'.

I'm thinking the problem is pipe coz the commands work fine individually (paste
is GNU coreutils 5.97, awk is GNU Awk 3.1.5). In case the output gets written
out, it is 512 lines long, which is probably some buffer size somewhere.

We have an older cygwin on another machine: CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.6(0.108/3/2),
paste (textutils) 2.0.21, Gnu Awk 3.1.3, which runs absolutely fine.

ulimit -p is 8 on both machines.

Saurabh