Unable to check out subversion projects

I can't seem to check out subversion projects via http using the
cygwin svn.  Whenever I try, I get the following error:

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.3.2 (r19776)
  compiled Jul 14 2006, 22:16:08
$ svn co http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/trunk vendor/rails
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/rails/trunk'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/rails/trunk': Could not parse response status
line. (http://dev.rubyonrails.org)

Funny thing is that I tried the native windows build of svn under
sygwin and it worked fine, so it doesn't seem to be a proxy issue.  I
fired up trusty ethereal, and it looks like svn is sending out a
PROPFIND and getting back an "HTTP/1.1 207 Multi-Status" response, at
which point Cygwin svn bails out, yet the windows svn keeps on with a
couple more PROPFINDs.

Does this have to do with the choice of line terminators?

Thanks
-Mike