Setup.exe requirements [was RE: Cygintl-3.dll was not found]

On 10 August 2006 14:39, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 10:00:19AM +0200, Tevfik Karag?lle wrote:
>> cgf wrote:
>>> Standards such as?  A pointer to a free installer which uses Windows
>>> standards and which will handle Cygwin's needs would be useful, e.g.,
>>> would NSIS meet your needs?  We've discussed using NSIS in the past.
>>
>> Can anyone give me a qualified reference about the requirements of a
>> core cygwin environment ?  I would like to try to develop an NSIS
>> installer for it.
>
> Huh?  setup.exe installs a "core cygwin environment" right now.
> What kind of reference would you be expecting other than the
> operation of the current installer?
>
> cgf

  I imagine Tevfik just wants us to enumerate the things it needs to do:

1)  Allow package selection and handle dependencies, based on setup.ini
information and the content of the local package store.
2)  Create basic cygwin registry mountpoints if they don't already exist.
3)  Untar selected package tarballs in cygwin root directory when installing,
delete previously installed files when uninstalling.
4)  Run preuninstall and postinstall scripts as requested.
5)  Maintain suitable setup.db information for cygcheck to continue working.
6)  Optionally create desktop / start menu shortcuts.

  Does that cover all the essentials?

    cheers,
      DaveK