Re: sshd error - Could not load host key

Chris Croughton wrote:
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 11:57:19 +0200, zs <admin@szalbot.homedns.org> wrote:

I was trying to start sshd with cygwin under windows.

I am getting the following error but the specified files exist in the /etc dir. What else could be a problem here? Thanks a lot for your input!

Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
Disabling protocol version 1. Could not load host key
Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.

I've had this recently! I solved it by running (or possibly rerunning) ssh-host-config. I'm not sure what that does differently from just setting up the config files in /etc (I can't find a man or info page on my system for it), but it seems to work (I know that if you answer it correctly it will set it up as a server, so something presumably tweaks the Registry; there are also questions about setting up a special user under Windows for sshd and things which need administrative privileges).

Doing a Google for "howto cygwin sshd" (without the quotes) gives a
number of places where people have written about it, including some
specifics for Win2k, XPPro and 2003Server.

All Cygwin packages come with Cygwin-specific READMEs in
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin or /usr/doc/Cygwin.  You'll find installation
notes, among other things there.  For OpenSSH, you'll find it
mentions the installation scripts ssh-host-config and ssh-user-config.
These are the recommended installation scripts.  Using anything else
is likely to lead to a broken installation.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746