Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, William A. Hoffman wrote:

> At 04:16 PM 8/14/2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> >I'm not 100% clear on what you're saying but if cmake distributed with
> >Cygwin is producing makefiles with MS-DOS SYNTAX then, actually it
> >should either be fixed to not do that or it should be pulled from the
> >distribution.  I wasn't aware of this limitation.
>
> The cmake distributed with cygwin produces cygwin makefiles and only
> cygwin makefiles.  It is unaffected by the change in make from 3.80 to
> 3.81.  There is no such limitation, please don't remove cmake from
> cygwin. Since that cmake links to the cygwin runtime it know about
> /cydrive/c and uses it.
>
> The change affects the microsoft build of cmake.  That build is
> available on a separate download from www.cmake.org.  It has an option
> to generate "Unix Makefiles".  In the past, you could use this mode to
> create Makefiles that would drive Microsoft's cl with a cygwin make.
> This no longer works.  I am trying to figure out if there is change I
> can make to the windows build of cmake, that will cause it to generate
> makefiles that will work with both make 3.80, and 3.81 from cygwin.

There were the scripts posted by multiple people (including CGF and me)
for converting MS-DOS paths to POSIX paths.  Also, if you are generating
Makefiles that are targeted for Cygwin make, you can use "cygpath" with
impunity.  Alternatively, target the MinGW version of make (as was already
suggested by others).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/