Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

Igor Peshansky wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, mwoehlke wrote:

Igor Peshansky wrote:
Alternatively, you can try to implement a $(cygpath ...) function in make
and submit *that* to the upstream maintainers.  That way, the Cygwin make
will not have to invoke a separate process to convert the paths that it
(as a program linked to cygwin1.dll) already knows how to do.
I'd like to point out that such a patch would be all of about five lines
of "code"... (And for the record, I've written both new make functions
AND my own version of cygpath, so I know what I'm talking about.)

Properly written, perhaps about 10. But what's a constant factor between friends? ;-)

Ah, I was thinking about the version of cygpath I wrote, that only does absolute conversions, and thus is less code. :-) Also see below.

Except note you would almost certainly want $(cygpathu) and $(cygpathw).

Umm, actually I was thinking of $(cygpath) with 2 parameters -- the type of conversion, and the list of paths.

Oh, right. I think I was thinking about it taking a list of files, but that is of course what $(foreach) is for. Your way is more flexible but requires more coding (because then you have to think about how to handle the 'what type of conversion' argument). So it is 10 lines of code instead of 5... and you're still just *copying* the source of cygpath.

--
Matthew
vIMprove your life! Now on version 7!